Skip to main content

Sag Harbor

This is going to be one of my more informal blog posts as I prepare to graduate and reflect on my time at Uni. I want to connect a lesson I've learned to Benji's ideology of "the other boy," based off the prompt we received earlier this quarter. 

I think that Benji tries to separate himself so much from the younger version of himself because he's reminded of the time that him and his brother were neglected. I also think that some part of him might feel like a failure because he was trying so hard at the time to protect him and his brother from going shooting in the first place. But then his brother found a way around it and that'a how the whole mess started. All resulting in Benji getting hurt. This is an interesting aspect to explore but I really want to focus on why he tries so hard and yet fails to separate himself. I think the reason why Benji can't truly separate himself from the younger version of him is because he quite literally still has a part of that person in him. But I think it serves as a great metaphor for growing up. 

    Sometimes we mix growing up and becoming a completely different person. While people do change a lot, that same child-like person is always going to be with you. All the experiences and memories you hold are still within you, even if you try to separate yourself from it.                                                                                                                                                          

Comments

  1. I agree that Benji works hard to let the reader know he no longers views the person he was when he was younger to who he is now. I think this is a feeling many people can relate to, as a result of embarrassment from previous actions. By trying to separate himself from his younger self he is making it clear that he is embarrassed by and ashamed of decisions he made. I think this shows an important step of the coming of age process. The realizations of previous mistakes shows a shift in mindset and growth from your younger self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting to think about. I don't feel like the same person I once was. I haven't tried to separate myself from "him", but I don't remember what it was like to be him as well. I kind of envy my childhood self for having less to worry about, but I know that back then I would have given anything to be who I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you say, in that each of us still has that younger self in us. I mean we are who we are because of the choices that younger person made. However, I often wonder if given that chance if I would make different choices than what my younger self made. I wonder if I did choose to make different choices if that would be because I am a different person now, or because I know that consequences of the actions I did chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's very true, as unfortunate as it may be in some cases. In fact, there are definitely people who in fact have more child than change in them... However, in moderation, I think always keeping the playful, innocent, childlike part of yourself is important, and will make you much more pleasant person to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's extremly interesting. We see some similar aspects in Fun Home, when Alison is so caught up in the subjectivity of the present that she labels it that way obsessively as if waiting for some future insight to correct her perception. I did something similar when I was younger, and often directly addressed future me. So yeah I'm not completely sure what to make of that but I think it's interesting that we try to appeal to or address past and future versions of ourselves like that, especially in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people might want to completely separate themselves from their youth and innocence, claiming they were stupid and naive. I think Ben sees it in a developmental way, in the sense that his past experiences shaped him to be who he is. The BB fragment in his eye serves as a reminder of his coming of age imbedded in his memory and himself. It's interesting to think that all of our actions when we were younger led up to our present-day selves, and I think Benji is reminiscing about that in this book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song of Solomon: Milkman's Identity

The Song of Solomon definitely caught us off guard at first; there was so much going on to say the least. I think the most perplexing character is Milkman, because up until the more recent chapters he was the only character that didn't really have much of anything going on. He was in the same limbo state that we saw with Clarissa Dalloway, he is middle aged and is kind of settling for life. It's too late for him to really choose a career path, yet he's not necessarily happy with the way things are going for him now. Most of the time his identity is attached to that of his father or from the unfortunate nickname of Milkman. However, we see some sort of shift in him when he begins to travel and learn about his family. Milkman begins to discover his identity when he leaves to travel alone. Towards the start of his journey he still has an identity that is tied to his father, but his outlook on the gold changes. However, it's still significant to note that while he is travel...

Ragtime: Ending

The ending of the novel was quite unlike the way the rest of the book flowed. There were multiple complex stories and characters coming together to form one narrative. Along the way we got to see mother and her character development, along with fathers lack of it. We saw Houdini navigate his inner struggles and even finding his worth in some way as he continues to preform. We saw Coalhouse Walker and Sarah and their impact on the family and the world. We followed Mother's Younger Brother who's narrative seems to always be driven by other people, much like his name suggests. The book was relatively slow paced for the most part until the ending. The book took a deep inside look into all the characters and showed us how each reacts differently to the same situation. Such as how each family member reacted in a different way to Walker entering the home and coming into their lives. And even how he impacted them after.  The very end of the book seemed very rushed and vague. Almost li...

Their Eyes Were Watching God: Tea Cake??

Throughout Hurston's novel  Their Eyes Were Watching God, the protagonist Janie endures two failed marriages. Her first partner Logan Killicks, she was forced into marrying at the age of only 16. He was the safe choice according to nanny; he had land and a stable income so Janie would never have to worry about life on the street. However, Janie was unappreciated and completely un-attracted to him and runs away with Joe Starks. The beginning of their time together was promising, he wanted to treat her right and she was practically royalty as the mayors wife.  However, over time Janie was forced to become more and more isolated and couldn't live the free life she wanted, and eventually Joe grew violent with her. After his death, she wants to be an independent woman and live life for herself. In the mean time, she curves men left and right, all wanting to be her business partner and marry her.  This all changes unexpectedly when Tea Cake comes walking into Janies store one d...